top of page

Foil Stamping & Embossing

Q: What do I need to do to make sure foil stamping and/or embossing register correctly to printing?

A: First, make sure your side guides and gripper are identified, and send us the rule up. Secondly, allow for a trap area when stamping, much as you would if over-printing one color on another. "Choke" the image you register to, in other words make it smaller than the area you plan to stamp. It's also important to note that any time a finisher has to guillotine-cut your sheet prior to finishing operations, it is going to affect register to a certain degree downstream. The amount it will be affected depends on density of stock, sharpness of knife, bevel, clamp pressure, size of lift, etc. The image on your sheet should be as close as possible to your gripper and side guides. Don't center a 12" x 18" piece on a 20" x 26" sheet because it will probably be run on a Kluge and require cutting prior to stamping and embossing.

Bindagraphics Sales-Service Representative

Perfect-Binding Thin Books

Q: Some of my customers want the quality look of perfect binding on books I think may be too thin. What is the thinnest book Bindagraphics can perfect-bind?

A: We can perfect bind a book as thin as 1/16". Lots of high-quality documents like annual reports that end up being saddle-stitched could be perfect-bound.

Bindagraphics Sales-Service Representative

Choosing Binder Ring Styles

Q: How do I know what size and style of rings to order for my customers' looseleaf binders?

A: First, ring binder capacity is measured by the inside diameter of the ring.

Rings up to 2 1/2" inside diameter are usually round, and you can estimate the size you'll need with these guidelines:

If your binder will need a ring larger than 2 1/2", you should probably order elliptical or D rings, which will hold up to 15% more sheets than round rings of the same size.

Quality Looseleaf will be glad to send you a copy of "Binder Planning Tips" and a convenient ring measuring device-just check the appropriate box on the BRE bound into this issue of Solutions.

Sales Manager

Special UV Inks

Q: Do I need to use special inks on a job that will be UV coated?

A: Inks printed on a particular substrate must have the correct characteristics to accept UV coating and have good intercoat adhesion. The inks used should be blister-type inks that exclude or minimize wax, silicones, polyethylene, other slip additives, anti-oxidants and some mineral oils. You should check with your ink supplier to make the right choice.

Bindagraphics Sales-Service Representative

Power Packs Save Time & Money

Power Packs-also known as Gaylords, Tellys, or telescopic cartons-can be an economical packing alternative to standard cartons. Power Packs are corrugated cubes with two facing sides open; they come with slightly larger bottoms than tops. Place the bottom cube on the pallet, with the open side of the cube on top, and start packing. Once the bottom cube is filled, the top cube is slid over the bottom and packing continues. After it's full, the flaps are turned in, a wood top added, and, depending on weight, strapped with 2 to 4 straps.

One Power Pack costing about $12 will hold as much as a skid with 40 to 56 cartons on it, at about 50¢ per carton. And with Power Paks there's less material to dispose of, and it takes less time to remove product for processing. So next time you have a large order, keep Power Packs in mind and save some dough!

bottom of page